Are You Ready?
On January 29th 2013 Connecting Devon and Somerset signed a contract with BT. The deal will:
- secure a £94 million investment to transform broadband speeds for businesses and residents
- ensure around 90% of premises have access to fibre optic broadband by the end of 2016, and
- deliver a minimum of 2Mbps for all premises by the end of 2016
Survey work for the project will start immediately and the first locations to be upgraded will be announced during Spring 2013. See the article “CDS Signs Contract” for further details!
Connecting Devon and Somerset:
- Encompasses the six local authority areas of Devon, Torbay, Plymouth, Somerset, North Somerset and Bath and North East Somerset.
- Is funded by Central Government, Devon and Somerset Councils and our private sector broadband supplier.
- Will deliver broadband (greater than 2Mbps) for all by the end of 2016, and superfast broadband (greater than 24Mbps) to at least 90% of homes and businesses by the end of 2016; we aim to achieve 100% superfast broadband coverage by 2020.
Without Connecting Devon and Somerset, some 700,000 residents and 26,000 businesses with a combined turnover of £9 billion have no certainty of receiving improved or superfast broadband from the private sector.
Connecting Devon and Somerset has the power to transform how we lead our lives and change the way we access public sector services. Access to improved and superfast broadband also has the potential to transform the local economy, enabling businesses to work more effectively, access new markets, work flexibly, collaborate and innovate.
The challenge and scale of the project is substantial but once completed Devon and Somerset will have access to world class broadband, serving residents and businesses for decades to come!
Get up to speed
- Would you like to make better use of broadband and technology?
- Would you like to know how broadband could improve your family life and cut down on expenses?
- Have you used broadband and technology to improve efficiencies in your business and want to share what you’ve discovered?
- Would you like to know how to harness social media to communicate with customers and market your business?
- Are you interested in developing an IT strategy for your business?
- Do you feel you could assist neighbours who are struggling to make those first tentative steps online?
- Could you benefit from improving some aspect of your IT skills?
Well if you’ve answered yes to any or all of the above, then Get up to speed is just the right thing for you!
Get up to speed is designed to equip businesses and communities across Devon and Somerset with the skills and knowledge to fully harness improved and superfast broadband. Click here to find out more!
We need you!
To ensure we understand where the demand for improved and superfast broadband is, we are encouraging as many residents and businesses as possible throughout the region to fill in a short and simple survey.
Your answers will tell us where the demand for improved and superfast broadband is and will be one of the factors used to plan our broadband rollout. This is your opportunity to have your say! Tell us about your current broadband speed and the issues you are facing, how you use your connection and a few other simple questions.